1. What is an important goal that I want to achieve in 2023? At the end of 2023, I will set up a Dutch association for civil servants with a wonderful opening conference and ditto party. Civil servants become members of this association (IAmbtenaar) who meet other like-minded civil servants. These people think it serves democracy (of residents) and therefore also public ad… Read More
How do you ‘kill your darlings’ (projects you loved to do and didn’t gave the results you hoped for? Can you give some examples of these probably brilliant mistakes or projects you believed in and you knew at some time you had to terminate them? How to give those projects a reality check? How do or did you do that?
To level up my business I know I need to invest yearly. And as you teaches us: don’t borrow money or get a line for that, but invest only a certain percentage of your yearly working income or turnover. This is a rule I didn’t break since I started to doing business with my expertise and was in one of the Business Bootcamps in 2012.
What kind of percentage to you rec… Read More
I find it difficult to acknowledge and be proud of my results. Why is that with some people like me in your opinion? Do you recognize this in your own personal development? And how to overcome this?
First of all it was a very valuable assignment this week. I got a lot of insights from that. For example that some of my triggers are the same for different ways in sabotaging myself. Also the conversation we had yesterday morning with buddies Bas and Marcel gave me an extra insight that I need to have an VA. That’s not a nice to have thing but a need to have! I fired th… Read More
Week 24 – Day 5 of 5
To combat my perfectionism and procrastination, I tell myself ‘done beats perfect’ and ‘everything is a draft’.
Creating smaller projects or tasks (blog or YouTube video) also helps when I set myself a short, clear deadline and say to myself: “OK… we have xx minutes to make it the best it can be… perfection is for losers… ”
By starting… Read More
Week 24 – day 4 of 5
Setting completion as a goal helps to avoid procrastination and to approach things more as a project with a beginning and an end.
Done beats perfectly. Here too, the value completion helps me to keep making progress. The phrase “Everything is a draft” also helps here. (tip from Nisandeh in a session at the ideal client magnet.
To differentiate me from other trainers or professors in my field of ex… Read More
To be(come) the authority on conscious public leadership.
To get free publicity.
To be able to share my knowledge I am already sharing in trainings and masterclasses
To have an ideal client magnet.
To differentiate me from other trainers or professors in my field of expertise.
… Read More
In the last hotseat session you mentioned that you found it F**ing simple to make / create an association of conscious public leaders. I was happy, smiling and my head ran over with ideas.
With my buddies we created the first steps to come to an formal board etc.
Could you explain (again) why you said it like that to me? Why do you think or see the potential? And what … Read More
In replay to Alexander Meijer
Now I read the translation from Google closely ‘pretending’ is not what I mean. I meant that Nisandeh and Vered mentor the talent they see and be a great example for that talent (in this case for Maru).
What did you get out of this week’s assignment?
I have now practiced for myself how to transform the book ‘The Secret of..’ into new things (something’s) so that I can use it further. Easily converted the 6 points from the book into 6 new workouts, videos or opt-ins.
What have you learned from doing this week’s trial?
That my knowledge and things that I can teach othe… Read More
From the video of this weeks assignment I learned (or made me more aware about) using and connecting the things I have as expertise, already love to talk and teach about and “simply” connect them.
I would like to ask you how you and Vered connect or are connecting those things, those ‘somethings’ (expertise – products – services) … Read More
Week 13 Day 1 of 5
Day 1 – think of as many “lessons” as I explain in the video above;
I looked at my book published last year: The G.E.H.E.I.M. from the Citymanager. This book is not only relevant for Citymanager, but also for other municipal executives. In addition to 15 interviews with citymanagers about their profession, the book contains a lot of extra material, a… Read More
What I got out of this week, is the insight that a short video with take aways (thanks for your explanation Nisandeh and good examples of you; my fellow students) is a great way to build my expert position. And however it feels difficult to make the script it is much easier, because I answer this questions indeed already a thousand times.
I learn to script in an easy w… Read More
Week 12 – 3 van 5
*** How do you, as a Citymanager, initiate a sustainable change / movement in a municipal organization?***
Part 1 – Introduction & hook
These are the things we are going to cover in this video:
1. Municipal organizations serve democracy, but are not itself a democracy.
2. Municipal organizations are inherently administratively complex. Going … Read More
Can you explain what you mean by ‘take aways’ for todays assignment for thinking about the video? And how do you use these ‘take aways’?
For my membership site(s) I use VIMEO.
You recommend to use YouTube. What are your strategic reasons to use YouTube?
In replay to Marcel Dassen
In my experience with politicians and directors serving and working with them is the following question a FAQ. May be it’s is relevant as a take a way, Marcel.
What do dominant people DO respect?
Week 11 – 2 of 5
What do you like about being a citymanager?
How do you lead a municipal organization?
How do you initiate a change / movement in a municipal organization?
How do you put together your group of managers (management team)?
Why are you conducting all those job interviews yourself?
What does your day as a citymanager look like?
How do you keep yoursel… Read More
Week 12 – 1 of 5 WHY I want to publish a video
1. To build trust in me as an expert.
2. To act as an opt-in.
3. To share knowledge and expertise.
4. To be one step ahead of my competition.
5. To be found more and more easily with my message.
6. To build a connection with my ideal client.
7…. Read More
In replay to Max Hirschel
In fact Max, I reached the number I set for myself in 2012 in 2017. And this year 2022 I doubled the revenue of 2017. Now I see the sequence of growth every 5 year. And I am on my way to be wealthy and financial freedom. Me happy 😊
I got a clear picture of the books I can publish. Sin suggested a way of using the topics I didn’t think about. Next week I try to talk about that with her.
I am going to reach out to some of my ideal clients to ask them which of the topics they are the most interested in and way. I also love… Read More
Tnx for the workshop. It gave me a lot of clarity and insights.
Question #1. My top insights were:
1. I don’t know enough about the other costs than money my ideal clients so that I can help them with less effort and sacrifice reach their dream results.
2. I know now what my… Read More
My best Exciting Title and catchy slogan.
1. Everything you always wanted to know about the profession of citymanagers.
2. 100 Things Government Managers Find Difficult About Leading.
3. The best way to renew a municipal government organization. Discover this successful 5 step method!
4. Successful leadership of government organizations. Develop your leadership in admi… Read More
In replay to Sin Declerc
Tnx Sin, Can we have a short telephone call so that you can explain your thoughts a bit more in a way I can see as clearly it like you do?
Week 11 – 4 or 5 another method
Another method that intrigued me is: Write the book “Everything you wanted to know…”.
In the past I once received a lot of questions from young professionals about the profession of citymanager. I can list those. I don’t know if there are 100. I’ll figure this out tomorrow. Book title: Everything you wanted to know about the professi… Read More
Marcel, what happened? You are on fire. Keep up the speed and implement quickly one of your ideas in to a real book. You can do this. 👍
I like your remark about using the outline of your masterclass as a syllabus. It made me thinking about it also how to prep my audience for the trainings and be ready to buy the book. Tnx
Thank you Sin! 🙏🏻
Week 11 – 3 or 5 which method
I wrote an ebook with Method #2 a year and a half ago. Things that managers find difficult about leadership. This ebook is based on frequently asked questions. I got more questions about this. In the training courses I give about leadership, I invariably ask the question what do you find difficult about leadership? And what is their main qu… Read More
Week 11 – 2 of 5 WHAT ABOUT TO WRITE A BOOK
1. How do you develop political intelligence as the chief advisor to a municipal government organization?
2. How does the municipality REALLY work?
3. What is the best way to innovate municipal government organizations? SAMEN method
4. How do you develop leadership and collaboration in administratively complex organizations… Read More
Week 11 – 1 of 5 WHY PUBLISH A BOOK
1. To be(come) the authority on conscious public leadership.
2. To get free publicity.
3. To be able to share my knowledge I am already sharing in trainings and masterclasses
4. To have an ideal client magnet.
5. To differentiate me from other trainers or… Read More
Celebrating week 10
What did you get out of this week’s assignment?
That I have become extra motivated and see even better that it is good to record my other trainings (How does the municipality work? and Political Intelligence) in video lessons, so that I have much more time to concentrate / focus on the 6 month program for the conscious public leader.
That the Aca… Read More
Day 5 of 5 – Concrete actions
1. Claim domain name for academy (done)
Schedule a conversation with Marcel Dassen.
3. Have a conversation with Luc Donners (31-8-2022).
4. Scheduling dates for working on my 6 month program.
5. Scheduling dates for elaborating my 5 workshops.
6. Conducting conversations with strategic partners (5-10)
7. Speaking at (network) meetings… Read More
In replay to Nisandeh Neta
Thank you, Nisandeh! I am working hard for it. By the way this is no complaint, but in my field of colleagues and clients only in this community there is understanding about the work you have to put in to be successful.
I am grateful to you Nisandeh en Vered that I can and may learn so many things from you. Although it is hard and I am really working my ass of, it help… Read More
Day 4 of 5 – Goals
1. Develop the new 6-month program Conscious Public Leadership for 15-12-2022 together with the recruitment and selection agency.
2. Complete the book on leadership and cooperation of complex administrative public organizations together with Pieter Parie before 1-7-2023.
3. Write a new book in the field of neglected municipal organizations and how t… Read More
Day 3 of 5 – Commitment
Next year I will spend at least 1-2 days a week further increasing my expert status in the field of leadership public organizations. I will be writing two new books next year on leadership and collaboration of complex administrative public organizations (book 1) and on empowered municipal organizations and how to guide them to recovery (book 2). … Read More
WOMB week 10
Day 2 of 5
What do I want to be known for as an expert?
1. The expert in the field of leadership public organizations: he knows how this kind of organization should function and be led and what this means for (the professional growth of) the directors who are responsible for it.
2. The expert on how the municipality REALLY works?
3. The expert who hel… Read More
Thanks Nisandeh. I really got stuck (maybe in the translation). I think now I get it and give it a try.
Today I do the work of all the assignments of this week.
Also Marcel and I had a good buddy session this Wednesday. Just so you know where I am in the process of this week. 😉
I’m looking for a bit of direction on how to get the assignment from day 2 of this week. What examples should or can I think of?
Week 10 – 1 of 5 Why be expert?
1. Making a Bigger difference in the world
2. Making more money because people come to me
3. Getting better ideal clients
4. Getting more publicity because I do have an opinion
5. Getting business opportunities
6. Getting more ideal clients and paying attention to them, but I wil try to do that by thinking of them when setting my intentions of the day. And that I am aware that I don’t need to do … Read More
1. What I learned from this week’s assignments is that simple ideas can be implemented quickly. That how I myself am an ideal client for suppliers and am surprised (or not) by them says a lot about how I see and approach my i… Read More
week 9 5 of 5
1. I show my gratitude in every training or event I give by sincerely thanking participants and helping them achieve my vision and mission. already
2. I thank the most important clients and participants in my mentoring programs with a short whats app message. already
3. Send a short video message to thank my VIP client for our cooperation.
4. Send a sum… Read More
I find the assignments of yesterday and today (week 9 3 and 4 of 5) really complicated. I already work on a personal basis and really get stuck in generating ideas. The answers of other participants are also very similar. Learning and adopting your ideas is a possibility but feels too easy for me. I translate the assignments for myself as more of the same.
Nisandeh, How… Read More
Week 9 3 en 4 van 5
I find the assignments of yesterday and today really complicated. I already work on a personal basis and really get stuck in generating ideas. The answers of other participants are also very similar. Learning and adopting your ideas is a possibility but feels too easy for me. I translate the assignments for myself as more of the same.
Maybe this i… Read More
I am wondering, Nisandeh how do you organize your lessons, programs or material. And how do you manage or succeed that the layout looks always so professional and in the style of your company. And were you always that successfully organized and able to have and keep overview over the information. And how many time you plan for preparing your lessons now and in the past.
… Read More
Week 9 – 1 of 5
How to WOW my ideal clients
1. Give 10 ride ticket faq for € 97 do you have tips on a short questions
2. Ebook Help, how do I get my team moving?
3. A Conversation on ebook 60 Things Executives Find Difficult About Leadership
4. A free 2-hour team coaching
5. A hotseat … Read More
Week 4 – 2 of 5
Day 2 – come up with at least 10 ideas you will do MORE of and choose the 3 tasks, actions or activities you will do MORE of in the coming month;
1. Blog and publish systematically.
2. Collaborate more with others, including Christian van der Berg.
3. Create and publish LinkedIn posts.
4. Read more books about leadership and translate my insights i… Read More
Week 4 – 1 of 5
What NEW to add
1. Write a book on the lessons of restoring neglected municipal organizations.
2. Write a book about collective leadership and cooperation in government organizations and other not-for-profit organizations (healthcare, education, etc).
3. Write a book about the strategies to turn municipal organizations into a Higher Reliability Orga… Read More
Week 3 – 1 of 5
1. Save time
3. Make fewer mistakes
4. Create time to work on my business
5. My ability to respond to leads or prospects is increasing
6. Increase the possibilities to research what my potential customers find important
7. It increases the ability to run my business independently of my presence.
8. Take repetitive wor… Read More
In replay to Maru Lizarrraga
I like to read your comments very much. They inspire me to crack these nuts. The questions in these week were really ‘Breinbrekers’ to me. Your answer really helpt my progress. On day 2 I got stock in my process, also due to other things I had to attend to. Today I post the summary of my path this week.
In replay to Sigrid van der Marel
Thank you so much, Sigrid! All the thoughts and best wishes of others are lifting us up. We enjoyed our wedding dag enormously.
And one of the things I learned from Vered en Nisandeh that choosing each new day for each other is key! And that we do since 2015 and this we confirmed with our wedding vows.
Thank you dear Nisandeh and Vered,
We are still reminiscing about the special wedding party that we had prepared for the guests at this special location in Amsterdam-North: De Hangar.
And of course also in the words that the guests, including our four teenagers aged 15, 16, 17 and 18, have to us, because that was a special and focused experience for the special att… Read More
Reflection WOMB week 2
I learned from this assignment that I can delegate things in a much more focused way to grow my company. By working specifically on this week’s assignment, I also opened a lock in my brain through Nisandeh’s answer, giving me access to previously unknown possibilities for me to delegate tasks to my own A(lexander)-team. The idea of buildin… Read More
Week 2 – 5 of 5
I can focus better on growing my business by using other people’s time (OPT) or other people’s expertise (OPE): by delegating.
The most important task to be delegated is to answer emails, make appointments and carry out other administrative matters. For this I am going to hire a VA (OPE).
I will also work out the other tasks to be delega… Read More
Because of our wedding day of Miranda Steenvoorden and me today July 1, my comment of the 5th assignment this week will be tomorrow.
Tomorrow I will also share my successes, because they are already visible two weeks after the start of this program. Me happy!
Week 2 – 4 of 5
By collaborating with recruitment and selection agencies (such as Zeelenberg and ABGL) I delegate the organization of events, the logistics of an event and the event management on the day itself. I also delegate part of the Account management and the collection of email addresses.
They have candidates who are rejected for heavy management or municipal s… Read More
My brain is sweating right now, Nisandeh! Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
I still remember how cool I thought your e-team members were. And later I found out how you directed the team, fired it up, etc.). Great example. I’m going to think about how I can find my own e-team or A(Lexander) team for my program for support or executive work to help grow this program fo… Read More
Week 2 – 3 of 5
1. Amanda Egger (VA) / Assistanz
2. Miranda Steenvoorden / DVELOP
3. Lars Endema / Social Spread
4. Wouter Siteur / Website Academy
5. Linda Graanoogst / With Ease in the news
6. Ingrid Verbeek / diamond speakers events
7. Mark Bongers / Mark Bongers Academy
8. Anne Raaymakers/ Fan Factor
Do you all my buddy’s of this program have any suggestio… Read More
In thinking about and making the list of ideas I only come on the paid options. How do I discover the free options? what tips do you have for me/us?
Week 2 – 2 of 5
1. Outsource Online Marketing
2. Account management
3. Collect email addresses
4. Organize events
5. Hire event manager
6. answering e-mail and other administrative tasks by VA
7. adjusting the website by Wouter Website Academy
8. Write messages on LinkedIn based on previous blogs
9. Keep writing key messages and storylines
10. Do the logistics … Read More
Week 2 – 1 of 5
The main reason to delegate:
1. Someone else can do it much better.
2. It saves you time.
3. Your business is developing faster.
4. You can (temporarily) purchase certain expertise or specialism from outside.
5. You can focus on the right things (more strategic or content development)
6. You can have the routine tasks (operational tasks) performed … Read More
In replay to Gerdy Heek
Good idea. Gerdy! It is not that I will communicate directly the shame or shyness. But this are the psychographic things I discovered last years in working with them.
1. I have found that I can generate ideas for the biggest struggle of my new program and for growing my business much more easily than I thought. I also noticed that I have already subconsciously picked up/implemented 1 idea: ask 5 contacts from the secondment network to propose 2 potential ideal customers to participate in the program. I pitched it casually to 1 account m… Read More
Week 1 day 3 and 4 of 5
Struggle how do I get ideal clients for my new public leaders program
1. Make a list of ideal clients who I enjoy working with or want to work with in my program.
2. Share an import… Read More
Week 1 – Day 3 of 5 Insight: WOW it is getting easier to make this list.
How is that possible?
Struggle how do I get ideal clients for my new public leaders program Ideas
1. Approach a network of staffing agencies if they know my ideal clients for my new public leaders program
1. Interview successful public leaders and professors
2. Interview ideal customers to explore their problems, wants and needs etc.
3. Publish in newspapers free publicity
4. Ask Linda Graanoogst… Read More
My biggest struggle is getting new clients for a new six month program.
Men and women aged 35-50 in government leadership roles with false modesty and who are shy and insecure in their current role and who want to move up and work out of their role easily and comfortably. They do not automatically rely on their public leadership talents and do not fulfill their potentia… Read More
1. Your focus on ideal clients;
2. Your profit margins;
3. How to work smarter, not harder; and…
Where are you now and where do you want to be in the future?
1. What is the main goal your company should take you to?
I started doing business with my knowledge and expertise about the municipal government in 2012. I then started my company IncreaseYouGovernmentIQ in addition to my salaried position as municipal secretary/general director. Because I found it fun and ch… Read More
1. What is your/your business big vision?
I believe that leaders of public organizations should be reliable and be the best leaders. They take their responsibility to give best directions and attention to the civil servants or public professionals in order to excellent service to every citizen.
Therefore leaders of public organizations (administratively complex organizati… Read More