You have completed the second block of the Working ON My Business program – YOUR IDEAL CLIENTS…
I hope you already noticed how your thinking and working have improved. Now it’s time to use the mindset and strategies you learned in the last few weeks to start working on the next block of the program…
Your Expert Position – Part 1
To get you started with the process, please watch this Business University lesson: WHY Becoming an Expert:
Let’s start with your MINDSET…
WHY Becoming and Expert?
In the video above I gave you MY top reasons why you should become an expert, and more than that – I shared with you how it’s connected with the last block of the program – working with Ideal Clients…
It doesn’t matter what products or services you offer, your prospects have lots of different options to choose from.
Being able to differentiate yourself from your competitors, and position yourself as an expert in your marketplace is crucial to your success.
When you have authority, people will pay attention. When you are perceived as an expert in your industry, people will naturally want to work with you. They will seek you out. They will pay you more. And they will refer to you more.
Take some time to think, IF becoming a known expert (or THE expert) in your marketplace is a good strategy for you and for your business, and if yes – become very clear on the WHY… the WHAT, and… the HOW…
And if you decide to go for it, then…
Set your GOAL for this week…
Here’s a great goal for you:
I am going to become a known expert in my marketplace.
I am going to become THE expert in my marketplace.
How’s that for a 5-day challenge?
Choose the STRATEGY you will use…
If you have never clearly AND explicitly defined and communicated your Expert Position Strategy, here is the 5-step process you should follow:
- Find your compelling WHY
Why is it important for YOU to become a known authority/expert in your field/marketplace?
Some ideas are in the video, but make your own list;
- Define WHAT do you want to become an expert in
Remember the points I shared during the last Hot Seat session (serving people for decades vs/ fads, don’t build an expertise that will shoot you in the leg, serve the SAME clients for 10 years or more, the difference between celebrity business and a scalable expert business…);
- Commit to become a/the known expert in your field
Becoming known as an expert is not the same as being an expert… You might be already an expert in your field – but to be KNOWN as one – takes time, effort, and other resources.
Make sure you’re willing to commit to this process.
- Clarify/define/set your goals
What would be your goal(s) that will represent for you becoming a/the known expert in your field (being invited to give lectures in professional conferences, publishing a bestselling book, winning a prize…)
- Design a plan to grow your expert position
What will YOU do to achieve the goal(s) you’ve set for yourself in the previous step.
And again, we’re going to use… the Idea Generator
Remember – your brain is an answering machine… so each day of the week, we’ll give it another question (see the Implementation part below).
PLAN your actions in your agenda…
Your next step is to physically plan this process in your agenda.
Plan to invest 10-15 minutes EVERY DAY in the coming 5 days to follow the process above.
AND… You will need to reserve 2-3 hours to actually setup your plan to grow your expert position.
Now it’s time to IMPLEMENT…
Take 10 minutes, right now, and…
- Day 1 – come up with at least 10 answers for why do you want to become a/the known expert in your field and make a decision IF becoming that expert is what you want to go for;
- Day 2 – come up with at least 10 specific ideas for WHAT you want to be known for as an expert and choose the one or two that are most important for you;
- Day 3 – come up with a specific commitment for becoming a/the known expert/authority as you defined it yesterday.
E.g. time investment, knowledge acquisition, skills practice, budget reserved or any other parameters you need to take into account to make it happen…;
- Day 4 – come up with at least 10 ideas for specific, clear, achievable goals and choose your main goal and possibly 1-2 sub goals;
- Day 5 – come up with as many ideas as you can how to actually achieve the goal(s) you’ve written yesterday and choose your preferred actions;
In your 2-3-hour Implementation Session – put it all together – design a clear, doable plan with WHO does WHAT, WHEN in order to achieve the goal(s) you wrote on Day 4.
Each day share with us in the comment box your ideas, actions and commitment.
My commitment to you…
- I’m looking forward to read your process and ideas below;
- I will be there for you on Wednesday to support you with any question, challenge or setback you encounter;
- I’m looking forward to celebrate your progress and results on Friday (I’m curious to hear the goal(s) and plan you’ll come up with).
Live fully, stay awesome,