In this Build Your Expert Position block of the Working ON My Business program we are NOT going to cover HOW TO write the book you conceived last week.
If you wish to write your book using my proven method, then head to the Business University course: Write Your Book in 28 Days.
HOWEVER… in the BONUS workshop of September 29, I will share my NEW and very different method to write a very specific expert book (in the direction of: What to Expect When You’re Expecting), answering EXACTLY the questions your audience is asking, in the shortest possible time, and with the minimum effort.
I will give you more details in a couple of weeks, but if you’re interested – make sure to RESERVE the evening of September 29th.
One of the easiest, fastest ways to show your expertise!
There are three main ways that sharing your expertise through video can help your business:
- Get discovered more
Sharing videos demonstrate your expertise while giving you an extra vehicle to communicate to and get seen by potential clients.
Especially on social media – video is king.
- Stand out from your competition
Are your competitors using video to share their expertise?
If not, not enough, or not very good – then you have a golden opportunity here.
If you need to choose between two experts (on any topic) who have the same qualifications, but only one is using video – which one would you choose?
The expert that has video content who shows they know their stuff, or the one that doesn’t?
- Establish trust and connection
When you demonstrate your expertise in a video, it builds the sense of know, like and trust between you and your potential clients.
Video gives you an opportunity to tell your story, to provide the viewer an insight into what’s important for you, and why you do what you do.
Authenticity and transparency are important more than ever when establishing credibility and connection – get that right – and prospects will buy… from YOU.
Video is no longer only one piece of your overall marketing plan. It became the central piece… especially in social media.
These days, if you aren’t creating videos, you’re likely falling behind.
But don’t get frustrated. For most videos, the more simple and raw it is, the more authentic the content seems … and that’s what really matters to your prospects and clients.
And to get you started…
Let’s start with your MINDSET…
Are You Camera Shy?
Here are 5 tips how to overcome your camera shyness or anxiety:
- Know WHY you’re making the video in the first place
For any video, start by writing down your goal, and then list 3-5 key take-aways you want the viewer to remember.
Knowing your key points increases your confidence, simplify your message and reduces the chance you’ll be all over the place.
- Imagine you’re having a 1-on-1 conversation
Identifying a specific person you want to talk to takes away the pressure of talking to hundreds of viewers – or zero viewers.
Even if no one’s watching your videos at first, still imagine how connecting with only one person would make it all worth it.
- Shift the focus from yourself to how you can serve others
Too often we get caught up in our own fears and insecurities that we forget that we have a chance to make a difference in someone’s life with our message.
You’ll be able to put aside your own nervousness when it’s in service for someone else.
- High quality content is more important than production value
That means you don’t need a fancy set, fancy camera, or fancy wardrobe to show up and deliver something your audience will enjoy.
Because if what you share is truly helpful, people overlook all of that because they like you and are genuinely interested in what you have to say.
- Build up your confidence & consistency first
Instead of obsessing over stats and views
When you’re first starting out, give yourself at least a dozen videos to get comfortable and find your style.
Success for you means showing up when you planned to show up. Analyzing stats and metrics comes later once you have a small library of videos to review.
Easy to say, maybe a little harder to do…
But you’re in the program to grow beyond your comfort zone, don’t you? So… let’s move on…
Set your GOAL for this week…
Here’s a great goal for you:
I am going to publish my first/best expert video so far.
How’s that for a 5-day challenge?
Choose the STRATEGY you will use…
Here is the 5-step process you could follow in order to produce a great expert video:
- Find your compelling WHY
Come up with as many ideas as you can to: WHY is it important for YOU to publish a video on your topic of expertise?
- Come up with a list of Frequently Asked Questions
Those are questions you’re asked often that you know answering them can make a difference for your audience (i.e. potential clients);
- Choose one question to answer
From the list you created yesterday, choose one question you know you can deliver tons of value on, and come up with the 3-5 main take aways you want your viewers to remember;
- Practice in front of the camera
Watch these few video filming tips:
Then… set up your mobile phone or digital camera and with only the question in mind and the 3-5 main take aways.
- Imagine an interviewer is asking you the question;
- Record yourself answering it (try to keep it to 5 minutes or less);
- Watch the recording;
- Make notes of what you can improve;
- Choose one thing to improve;
Repeat those steps 2-3 more times.
- Record your final video
Make sure you’re dressed up properly for your purpose / audience;
Choose a quiet (audio as well as background visuals) place, with good light;
Put your phone or camera on a tripod or a stable surface in the height of your eyes;
Follow the tips I shared in the above video;
Record your answer to the question you practiced;
If you’re happy with the result, congratulate yourself, upload the finished video (minimum or no editing, please), and share it with your subscribers and clients;
If you’re not happy… do it again… it’s less than 5 minutes…
Ready to get to work?
PLAN your actions in your agenda…
Your next step is to physically plan this process in your agenda.
Plan to invest 10-15 minutes EVERY DAY in the coming 5 days to follow the process above.
AND… You will need to reserve 2-3 hours if the video needs some editing (you can do it cheaply and quickly at Fiverr.com), to create a YouTube channel (if you don’t have one yet) and to send a message about the video to your list.
Now it’s time to IMPLEMENT…
Take 10 minutes, right now, and…
- Day 1 – come up with at least 10 answers for why do you want to publish a video on your area of expertise;
- Day 2 – come up with at least 10 specific frequently asked questions you’d love to answer;
- Day 3 – choose one question from yesterday’s list and come up with the 3-5 take aways you want your viewers to remember;
- Day 4 – practice recording the answer to the question a few times… each time learning from watching yourself and improving the next “take”;
- Day 5 – record your final video – but don’t be afraid to make a few takes before you’re satisfied.
- Feel free to upload the best RAW version to YouTube as UNLISTED (so only people with the link could watch the video), and share the link to the video in the comment box – if you want to get some feedback from WOMB participants.
In your next 2-3-hour Implementation Session – do minimum editing (or let someone else edit your video) just to clean it up a bit – and only if necessary.
If you don’t have a YouTube channel – make one.
And after you uploaded the final version of the video to YouTube – share it with your clients and/or subscribers…
Each day share with us in the comment box your ideas, topics and actions.
My commitment to you…
- I’m looking forward to read your process and ideas below;
- I will be there for you on Wednesday to support you with any question, challenge or setback you encounter;
- I’m looking forward to celebrate your progress and results on Friday (I’m curious to hear the goal(s) and plan you’ll come up with).
Live fully, stay awesome,