The best way to establish your expert position!
Today, more than ever, people read nonfiction books and look up to their authors as trusted leaders and authorities.
If you have a business – selling products or services – writing (and publishing) a nonfiction book is a crucial step in building credibility, authority and expert position.
Writing a bestselling book might be on your bucket list for different reasons: strengthening your brand, boosting your business or simply sharing your knowledge.
And to get you started, let’s dive into…
Your Expert Position – Part 2
To get you started with the process, please watch this Business University lesson: WHY You MUST Write a Book:
Let’s start with your MINDSET…
WHY You MUST Write a Book?
In the video above I gave you MY top reasons why you should write (or more accurately – write AND publish) a book about your expertise…
It doesn’t matter what products or services you offer, a book is the most powerful way to establish your position as an expert.
You don’t ever have to sell any of your books, you just need to have them – as they serve as the best business card… EVER!
I’m pretty sure you, like most entrepreneurs, understand the power of having a published book under your name…
But you might have fears, doubts or preconceived ideas about book writing… Among them: “I can’t write”, “I don’t have the time”, “I don’t know enough”… and maybe others…
It’s not the space to give you long and elaborated answers for those – but let me tell you this:
- If you can speak – YOU CAN WRITE!
- If you can find 25 hours – THAT’S ALL IT TAKES TO WRITE A 200-PAGE NON-FICTION BOOK (using my system);
- If you have clients already – YOU KNOW ENOUGH TO SHARE IN A BOOK!
Please excuse my SHOUTING… but I’ve been teaching for many years hundreds of entrepreneurs how to write (and publish and market) a bestselling book in 28 days.
As much as we are aware of, almost 70% of my students actually wrote and published at least one book within less than 6 months after the course…
If they can do it… so can you.
For now, I don’t ask you to commit to writing and publishing a book, but I do ask you to go through the process of thinking of and researching the best topic for your first (or next) book.
Which leads us to…
Set your GOAL for this week…
Here’s a great goal for you:
I am going to identify the BEST topic for my Expert How-To Book.
How’s that for a 5-day challenge?
Choose the STRATEGY you will use…
Here is the 5-step process you could follow in order to identify the BEST topic for your expert how-to book:
- Find your compelling WHY
Why is it important for YOU to publish a (nonfiction/how-to) book on your topic of expertise?
Make sure that you watch the video for my ideas (some of them are not that obvious), but then make your own list;
- Come up with topics you’d love to share about
Those are topics in your expertise that you know they can make a difference for your readers (i.e. potential clients);
- Use a proven method to find even more topics
Read this article: How to Find Out Which Book to Write and pick up one method (preferably NOT #1 or #10) and use it to identify even more topics you could write about;
- Use ANOTHER proven method to find even more topics
From the same article: How to Find Out Which Book to Write pick ANOTHER method (preferably NOT #1 or #10) and use it to identify even more topics you could write about;
- Ask your clients and subscribers which topic they’d choose
But don’t just send them a random list…
First pick your 7-10 best topics.
Then write for each topic an exciting title and tagline.
Then ask them to choose the top 3 books they’d like to read and WHY (this is crucial).
Ready to get to work?
PLAN your actions in your agenda…
Your next step is to physically plan this process in your agenda.
Plan to invest 10-15 minutes EVERY DAY in the coming 5 days to follow the process above.
AND… You will need to reserve 2-3 hours next week to go over the answers you get.
Now it’s time to IMPLEMENT…
Take 10 minutes, right now, and…
- Day 1 – come up with at least 10 answers for why do you want to publish a book on your area of expertise;
- Day 2 – come up with at least 10 specific ideas for topics you’d love to write a book about;
- Day 3 – use one method from this article to identify even more topics you could write a book about;
- Day 4 – use ANOTHER method from this article to identify even more topics you could write a book about;
- Day 5 – choose your favorite 7-10 topics from all the topics you came up with in the last 3 days.
Imagine you already wrote a book on each of these topics and give each of them an exciting title AND tagline.
Contact your clients, subscribers and social media followers (by phone, email, facebook, LinkedIn, etc…) and ask them to choose their 3 favorite “books” and WHY they chose those.
In your next 2-3-hour Implementation Session – collect all the input you got and see if you have a clear winner.
When you have close runner ups – you can simply integrate those topics into the main book, or use them for your next books.
Each day share with us in the comment box your ideas, topics and actions.
My commitment to you…
- I’m looking forward to read your process and ideas below;
- I will be there for you on Wednesday to support you with any question, challenge or setback you encounter;
- I’m looking forward to celebrate your progress and results on Friday (I’m curious to hear the goal(s) and plan you’ll come up with).
Live fully, stay awesome,